Seems like there's always something going on. Of the many songs we play, one or two sometimes requires the ability to play in drop D: Dirt Road Anthem by Jason Aldean comes to mind (although it's not on our song list and isn't likely to be), as does Oklahoma Breakdown by Stoney LaRue. Right now I have 3 basses in the gig lineup (not that all of them go to gigs with me, but they could, conceivably): a 2011 Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass 5-string, a 2005 Fender American Standard Precision Bass, and a 2016 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass (the Mexi, not the American one). Of these, the 5-string already has the ability to reach into the lower registers, obviously, so the Geddy and the P-Bass need bass extenders.
So I have a different project in mind for my P-Bass, as the Geddy is going to be my go-to stage bass for some time. I want to load it (the P-Bass) up with Steve Harris flatwounds and set the action real low, and see what kind of recordable soloing I can get accomplished. But the Geddy, she's getting a Hipshot BT-7 Bass Extender for her one-month birthday.
I chose the BT-7 out of Hipshot's wide array of models because the Geddy is a modern Mexican Jazz Bass, and the BT-7 is supposedly designed to fit right in with the screw holes and all of that sort of thing. But I was wrong, of course: evidently, I should have gone with the Hipshot model that was designed for something else: Maybe the '72 American Jazz Bass that the Geddy is designed after. It is, after all, a reissue of Geddy Lee's famous '72 Jazz, right? Anyway, as you can see, the base plate is a completely different shape, and the screw holes aren't even close to lining up. So, rather than just working my way through the Hipshot catalog and hoping I'd find the right model eventually, I just drilled some new screw holes and carried on like that's what I was supposed to do. Probably voided a warranty or two, but my bass tech is better than their warranty anyway.
After a little trial and error, I eventually got new holes drilled and the base plate installed, and then I got the rest of the Hipshot assembled and ready. I put it together and took it apart a few times because something wasn't lined up correctly. I am not mechanically inclined, and more than once, it occurred to me that I might have to take it to my tech in a big pile of parts and beg him to fix it (which would have been hilarious, now that I think about it, as it used to be his bass). But I was eventually able to get it all together pretty close to correctly, and I don't think I can tell the difference between it and the other tuners from the front, once everything is said and strung, and so far it works perfectly.
So I'll let you know how it works after this Saturday's gig in Crosby!